The Exposure Project
THE EXPOSURE PROJECT
Purpose: To expose young creatives from underrepresented groups to the photography industry through direct experience visiting and working on sets alongside professional photo assistants and photographers.
Benefit: Currently there is no on-ramp for aspiring photo assistants and digital techs. They have no way of gaining the basic knowledge and experience required to become a working assistant or tech. This is the classic “I need experience to work but no one will hire me without experience” dilemma. This program will serve as a way to gather the needed experience, make initial connections, and gain the confidence required to enter the world of photography. This program will simultaneously open doors for young creatives and build a pipeline of diverse photo assistants.
Compensation: The participants would be paid a day rate ($200 a day) to serve as an extra pair of hands while watching, learning, and gaining real world experience.
- Application - Perspective participants will apply by submitting a resume and a statement on why they would like to gain industry experience.
- Interview - We will set up a video call with each applicant to confirm their interest, readiness, and review expectations for when they are on set.
- Placement – We will place participants with photographers and productions as they are vetted and as opportunities arise. We will ask that photographers or one of their assistants or techs spend a few minutes after the shoot to answer any questions that accumulated throughout the day.
- Review – We will confirm that the shoot was successful for both parties.
- Graduation – After five successful placements and reviews participants will have completed the program and be ready to enter into a database that will be shared.
Launch: Fall 2021 with an initial class of 10 participants
Contact: To apply or get involved email - email@example.com